Feature Image by McCardell Photography. Knots ‘N Such, Raleigh Wedding Planner and Florist.
Summer has been in high gear lately, and if you are like me a bit of wanderlust may have set in. You might have a desire to visit the cool, fresh air of the mountains Or catch some rays at the beach. Whether flying to an international destination or sailing the high seas in America, summer definitely is a jet setting time. Today on the blog, Knots ‘N Such, Raleigh Wedding Planner and Florist, is bringing you tips if jet setting is a part of your wedding plans. Many people dream of an intimate wedding on the beach or at a European hot spot, but don’t know quite where to begin. Here are 5 tips that will definitely be helpful to you in getting started!
- Plan a location that is meaningful to you as a couple
- First and foremost, this is your wedding. Choose something that is meaningful to who you are as a couple for that personal touch. How about the location of your first vacation together, or the spot where he proposed, or a place that’s been on both your bucket lists for years. Make it memorable and possibly a place that you will visit again in the future. For me, that spot was in the area where I grew up and the spot where my husband fell in love with that area – the mountains of Virginia.
- Plan well in advance
- Unless you’re planning to elope alone as a couple, you don’t want a destination wedding and all its details to be a last minute affair. It’s best to keep the guest list intimate and recognize the planning that will go in on their end as well. Like in the previous mention, choose something that is personal, but make sure lodging and travel are relatively easy for your guests. Also consider the weather – is it hurricane season? blizzard conditions? We can’t predict the weather, but we can make educated decisions based on the likelihood of these things.
- Plan around your setting to help save your budget
- You are probably not going to be able to travel with each and every knickknack you want to include in your wedding and are going to need to rely on local vendors. That being said, when planning decorations and other parts of the ceremony, let the local decor shine through. If at the beach, let the ocean and local blooms be a backdrop. In Italy, incorporate olive branches and grapes. Keep it simple, so you can enjoy the trip as well.
- Plan for a wedding planner in your budget
- Hire a pro to help be an intermediary between you and your destination vendors. Let them help you with your budget and with incorporating personal and site inspired ideas into your ceremony and reception. You might hire a local planner here or one that is in your destination area who knows the ins and outs of the market there. If hiring locally here, plan to have her/him travel with you to provide the necessary coordination services. It’s customary to cover her expenses in this scenario in addition to the standard fee. It will be so helpful for you to have an expert in your corner on the trip.
- Plan your travel and pack wisely
- You’re probably going to want to make a quick visit before the wedding, a few days ahead of your guests. This will be helpful in eliminating surprises. You are going to have some last minute decisions to make and want to make sure everything is set for the big day. This will also allow for some rest and relaxation too. Plan wisely when it comes to packing as well. Baggage fees can be quite hefty these days. So like we said earlier, let the local vendors be in charge of decor. Think also about how you will be dressed the day of your wedding. Does the dress travel well? Will it work in the climate where you’re visiting? Talk at length with your wedding planner to be sure all scenarios have been carefully thought through.
I know this seems like a lot of planning and you might be thinking “I just want to get away!” Destination weddings have different aspects to consider in the planning process, but with the right approach, it can leave you with some beautiful and meaningful memories. (Plus some pretty awesome photographs.) Need help in planning that destination or local wedding, please contact Knots ‘N Such, Raleigh Wedding Planner and Florist, today!
XOXO (and happy travels),