Feature Image from The Wedding Exchange
Interview by: Poppy Belle, Durham Florist
If you were to spend some time roaming the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill Area, you would quickly find out that we are quite blessed with an abundance of amazing wedding venues. (And brides still have trouble finding a venue during peak season!) The Triangle area is rich with history and charm to fit pretty much any wedding theme you could think of. The Wedding Exchange in Durham is one such venue. Poppy Belle, Durham Florist, was able to catch up with Amy Henning, the Marketing Manager, at the Wedding Exchange in Durham and find out more about this new & promising venue!
- What is the history of the building? How does the venue reflect that historic charm?
- The John O’Daniel Exchange building (where The Wedding Exchange is located) was built in 1917 and was originally a hosiery mill. It later became the Farmer’s Exchange and was a staple in Durham. We still have Durham natives who tour our building and remember when it was the Farmer’s Exchange. The building held a few other businesses before falling into disrepair. In 2008, our building owner Wendy Clark renovated the building and reopened in 2009. The building now houses 24 offices, 2 conference rooms and 1 event space – The Wedding Exchange.
- The venue has been completely renovated, and we installed hardwood floors to mimic the original floors in the building. The venue’s original brick walls are still intact, and we are in the process of upgrading the space so that it can function more efficiently and beautifully as a wedding venue.
- When did The Wedding Exchange open (history of the business)?
- In 2017 we began marketing the event space in the John O’Daniel Exchange as a wedding and event venue. Since then we’ve hosted wedding receptions, baby showers, corporate events, parties, repass dinners and more! We love serving the Durham community and being a part of their celebrations.
- In a nutshell, how would you describe The Wedding Exchange?
- The Wedding Exchange is an intimate, industrial space located minutes from downtown Durham. We can seat up to 80 guests, and the market lights and hardwood floors add an element of industrial charm to our venue.
- What is the process of booking and planning a wedding at The Wedding Exchange?
- We book a tour of the venue with the bride or couple and any key decision-makers. Once we receive the signed contract and deposit ($250 + 50% of the rental fee), the space is secured. The remaining balance is due 90 days before the wedding. 30 days before the wedding, we do a final walk through with the planner and couple to write down what we need to put in place the day of the wedding, and receive signed catering agreements, bartender agreements, and event insurance.
- What is one of your favorite wedding memories at the venue?
- Our first bride married a man who was originally from Barbados. They had an intimate ceremony, and his family was able to watch and celebrate with them remotely. We love that they were able to customize a cross-cultural ceremony in a way that fulfilled their dreams and matched their personalities.
The Wedding Exchange in Durham is a beautifully charming venue that you must see to appreciate. I cannot wait to see their future renovations, because the verbal description alone made my design mind go wild! If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that industrial chic is my favorite venue style. So I’m ridiculously excited to have another option in Durham. From this Amy at Poppy Belle, Durham Wedding Planner and Florist, we want to thank Amy at the Wedding Exchange in Durham for sharing her time to paint such a beautiful picture of this venue. Check them out today!
Looking to plan your wedding at one of the fantastic venues in the Triangle or Triad? Reach out to Poppy Belle today, and we can help you find the perfect location!